In need of a more functional night table with tons of storage, I decided to give new life to an old and overlooked dresser buried in the garage.
This dresser was already primed (a forgotten project from the past) so all it needed was a fresh coat of paint and a hardware update, but I wanted to add some additional visual interest.
My plan was to strip the dresser’s top and stain the raw wood but I quickly discovered that the dresser was veneered and there was too much damage to salvage it.
Really set on a stained wood top, I bought a piece of 1′ craft pine at Home Depot and had them cut it to the correct measurements to fit over the existing top.
I gave it a good sanding and finished with two coats of stain and two coats of sealer.
I used wood glue to adhere it onto the dresser and the result was the paint/stain contrast I envisioned.
Please leave questions or comments below!